Good residential architecture is not self-serving but adapts to meet people's needs: as individuals, but also as members of a social group. A bonus of good residential architecture is that it promotes community, society and communication.
Good architecture is having the courage to experiment without putting form before content. Good architecture allows flexibility and creates spaces.
Good residential architecture is a dialogue: between the building and the setting, and between public space and the private realm, the design of lifestyles and homes.
Good architecture is the product of a process of discussion between clients and architects, prospective occupants and users.
Good residential architecture is self-confident but not conceited.
The Gesiba has developed its philosophy around the above principles, finding innovative solutions together with architects, a philosophy that is applied in the revitalisation of the Gasometers or Bike City, in the intergenerational housing complexes, Wohnpark Alt Erlaa or the new residential districts on the former Nordbahnhof grounds and the Sonnwendviertel. Apart from the creative challenge of actively participating in the design of the city, the focus of this remit is on guaranteeing fair housing and the highest possible standard of living. With a high degree of success.
That is why institutions and initiatives like the Architekturzentrum Wien are so essential. As they promote dialogue about housing, planning and building, they show people how to look with such commendable exhibitions, they show how utopias can be realised, and show architecture in its social context. Not least, it is a forum, a database and a platform for architects, clients and planners.
© Az W
Guided Tours of Projects in Vienna
- Hans-Werner Frömmel, Bundesinnung Bau
- Michael Gehbauer, GPA – WBV Wohnbauvereinigung für Privatangestellte
- Wolfgang Gleissner, Bundesimmobiliengesellschaft m.b.H.
- Ruth Goubran, Sponsoring Erste Bank
- Hans Peter Haselsteiner, Fachverband der Bauindustrie
- Josef Herwei, Wiener Stadtentwicklungsgesellschaft mbH
- Andreas Holler, BUWOG Bauen und Wohnen GmbH
- Stephan Jainöcker, Mischek Bauträger Service GmbH
- Ewald Kirschner, GESIBA
- Winfried Kallinger, KALLCO Bauträger GmbH
- Theodor Klais, STRABAG AG
- Reinhard Mechtler, Fritsch, Chiari & Partner ZT GmbH
- Michael Pech, Österreichische Siedlungswerk AG
- Peter Rungger, Eternit Werke Ludwig Hatschek AG
- Johann Scheuringer, Josko Fenster- und Türen GmbH
- Marcus Schulz, Vitra Ges.m.b.H.
- Gerhard Schuster, Wien 3420 Aspern Development AG
- Michaela Trojan, Dieter Groschopf, wohnfonds_wien
- Richard Wilkinson, Erste Group Immorent AG
- Peter Rossegg, Stora Enso Building & Living